Over the last few years as I have gotten more and more addicted to programming Python, I have basically stopped using debuggers. This is not because I write bug free code, but because I prefer not use any of the IDEs available for Python, and I really don't much get along with pdb. I have always found that I need to invest a lot of effort into pdb to get what I want from it, and so now I default to "print line" debugging (using print statements to dump state to the console).
A couple of days ago, I decided to look into graphcial debuggers. I tried some of the Python IDEs out there, and they just really weren't for me. I saw Winpdb in the repositories, and decided to give it try. Today I have a bug that was a good test case for it. I imaging that I will be adding Winpdb to my toolkit on a more regular basis now.
Over the weekend didrocks update quickly-widgets in universe for me. quikly-widgets provides the DictionaryGrid class, that I use in bughugger to display data from bdmurray's JSON searches. I check bughugger every morning to see what the desktop team is working on, and generally where we are in terms of the bugs assigned to use.
So when I run bughugger this morning, I saw this:
Oops, only columns. Obviously a bug in quickly-widgets broke bughugger, but where?
Starting the Debugger
So I fired up the Winpdb. First thing is to select the file to launch. So I choose File -> Launch, and navigate to the bin/buhgugger file. I select a line close to, but before where I want to break the program. Clicking in the channel there, are using F9 key, sets a breakpoint. The run button then runs that app and will stop at the first breakpoint it hits in the source.
After stopping at the first breakpoint, I see that I need to set a breakpoint in the add_*_triage_page functions, as that's where bughugger starts to assemble the view. The "keys" variable determines what columns are created in the DictionaryGrid, so I decide to watch the keys get passed around. I can see that the keys are set correctly here.
I use "run to line" and "step into" to see that the keys are still correctly set at when BugsPane is being created.
So I run to where the DictionaryGrid is created. The fact that I depended on the order of arguments instead of using keywords looks a bit suspicious to me.
So I step into the constructor for the DictionaryGrid, and see that, in fact, I did change the order of the contructor parameters, so it's not surpriisng the app went a little haywire. I fixed the bug by changing the call to use keywords.
I think using Winpdb saved me tons of time and effort compared to using pdb, or print statement debugging. In any case, it was a matter of minutes to find this bug, do I could go on to fixing the next bug :)